These shoes were an impulse buy at Kmart! I decided to paint my current PokÃ©mon team on them for a personal touch.
I started by deciding which shoe each PokÃ©mon would feature on, then sketched each one individually in my sketchbook before transferring the sketch onto the shoe with pencil.
Initially when painting the shoes I used masking tape over the areas of the shoe to keep the white borders of the shoe clean of paint. As I continued and got more confident with the painting I stopped masking these areas and instead painted carefully around them.
I painted each PokÃ©mon separately. Here you can see some different steps in the process – on Kangaskhan I’m putting down some fine guidelines. After doing the guidelines I painted in the colours of each PokÃ©mon with acrylic paint. Once I’m done with the colours and shading, I put down thicker ink lines. Finally, I sealed the shoes with a couple of coats of Mod Podge.
Here are the completed shoes! I’m quite happy with the way they’ve come out. I’ve since trained up a Nidoking; I’ll have to add him to the tongue of one of the shoes!