Despite the fact that I don’t have a New 3DS, I procured a set of blank cover plates and customised them with my Smash Bros mains!
Part of the fun in composing this piece was determining how to design an image that would be engaging and interesting when split along the middle. I think this design works quite well, each half is interesting in its own right!
Here are some progress pics. I started with a sketch and colour test in Photoshop before transferring the design to the cover plates, which were primed with Daniel Smith’s Watercolour Ground. It’s an interesting surface to work on – I found I had to be very careful when applying layers as reworking any area disturbed the layer beneath.