I was inspired after attending the ACSA’s 2010 graduate exhibition. Today was the last day of the exhibition so I was glad to catch the show before it ended.
Since I’ve been dabbling in watercolours lately, the watercolour portraits by Ruby Chew were really awesome to see. When I’d caught glimpses of the graduates putting up their work I had no idea that there would be her 52 marvellous mini portraits included alongside her large canvas paintings.
With Ruby’s works fresh in my mind I thought about restricting my palette to just the three primary colours to depict myself. I’m no master in watercolours or portraiture, but this was a fun exercise that I’ll probably try out some more over the weekend.
Yesterday I completed the more-difficult-than-expected task of selecting a number of images to feature in my portfolio. I set a limit of ten images and tried to gather a set of images that gave a rounded representation of what I can do.
While trawling through work recent and old, I found a number of pictures that never got the chance to see the light of day. Here’s a few that I rather like.
There’s plenty more! When I started this blog I had an idea of diving into old work to examine what I’ve been doing in the past. Maybe this is the start of bringing that idea to life.
Last week’s homework was to create two images that were hybrids of two objects that were randomly assigned to us. Each image needed to have one of the objects stand out as more dominant than the other.
Here are my attempts. Can you tell what the objects are, and which is supposed to be the dominant one in each image?
So hey I was putting this off until I got a chance to write a bit about it and then I remembered I liberated myself from having to write things to go with my posts. But now oops I’m writing something to go with this post.
Here’s the finished-for-now Juri:
Kind of hurried it towards the end, I always have a tendency to do that! I’ll probably have a few more tweaks to make later, but I think I ought to get my ideas moving for my next picture.
On my monitor this looks more subdued and less pink than it does in real life. I will have to play around with the colour balance in Photoshop and check it out on some other monitors… I’ll probably also do some other digital tweaks like clean up the fuzzy edges of the circles. I’ll learn to paint more tidily with practice, I swear!
This was why I was redrawing the image with pencils – it’s going to be a watercolour painting. Here’s most of the flat colours down and some areas in a near complete state – I will probably leave those until the image is closer to completion. Uncompleted bits include most of the purples and pinks. These will get deepened with progressive layers of pigment. I’ve also yet to start trying to detail her face.
It’s kind of interesting to note that when I work digitally I feel as though I should start the image with some pencil scratchings to get into the groove. Similarly, when I want to do a painting or drawing I often want to play around digitally to get a feel for the image. Really I think it’s all about finding a happy medium 🙂
Pretty much complete, will probably do some tweaking and fix up the foliage on the side.