Made dumplings tonight so I tried drawing a dumpling. Not a very successful attempt but it’s something to post at least!
Lately we’ve been streaming our board game misadventures.
With the webcam set up over our table, we can capture a reasonable amount of the play area, but things are quite hard to read. So I’ve been experimenting with some overlays to convey pertinent game information.
Here’s a demo of the overlay in action – the popup in the top left only appears for a little while when I change the “last tile visited” variable, and the player information allows us to track all of the different resources and upgrades that the players pick up along the way.
I think keeping the overlays updated is quite the distraction though – I guess that’s my excuse for John going 3-0 undefeated tonight!
I have been a bit lazy today and also have had some evening commitments. So in a familiar Blaugust daze I had no idea what to do for today’s post. Pretty dire situation for a weekend!
There’s a few other things I wanted to do tonight so I decided to set a 10 minute timer. I wanted to keep Blaugust momentum up but I didn’t want to feel chained to dedicating a long time to a post, so the 10 minute timer really distils down the essence of my approach to Blaugust – do stuff, post it, don’t worry so much about quality.
As we were unloading from the car this evening I remembered these daffodils that are growing in my front driveway. My nieces planted them on a previous visit and they’re flowering in their full glory. I had taken some photos to send to my nieces so I had a handy reference to hand.
Here’s what was on my canvas at the end of my 10 minutes.
Currently working on some stuff I can’t post (taking my own advice and *not* using Blaugust as an excuse to put off major projects) so here are some sketches from my bus ride today.
Piranha Plant is my new Smash Bros main. I was hoping maybe I’d be able to put up some more complete pieces but I’m sure this won’t be the last we see of it this month.
I had a bit of fun yesterday trying to create a floorboard texture – I wasn’t feeling like drawing because my hands were a bit sore so I set myself the goal of doing things with just photoshop filters! Here’s a guide of how I achieved the look using just the Add Noise and Motion Blur filters.
Here are the ones I made yesterday. Below I try recreating the method and providing a walkthrough. I think today’s recreation is a little less successful (I started too dark) but the concepts applied can be experimented with endlessly to create a variety of different fun textures!
Step 1: Fill the canvas with brown
Step 2: Add noise – Leaving Monochromatic unticked at this point will provide a bit of colour variety. A low Amount % will still allow the brown to be the dominant colour.
Step 2.5 (optional): Select the whole area and enlarge it – this one has been scaled to about 400% of its original size. In this step the interpolation mode doesn’t matter as much, in later steps we want to use Nearest Neighbour interpolation to do enlargements.
Step 3: Motion Blur. The distance of the blur will affect the grain of the “wood” 🙂
Step 4: Starting on the planks. Fill a new layer with brown again and then enter the add noise menu. This time I create select the monochromatic option
Step 5: Making blocky shapes.
Select a small area of the pixels and then enlarge them to 200% of their original size, making sure to use Nearest Neighbour interpolation.
Step 6: Offsetting blocks
Select every second row and displace them horizontally by one pixel.
Step 7: Enlarge the planks.
Using nearest neighbour interpolation again, enlarge the planks. You want them to be wider than they are tall.
Step 8: Take a copy of this layer, then apply a motion blur to it.
Step 9: Change the blend type on the layers. I recommend experimenting with overlay and multiply! I started this example using very dark colours so I now need to adjust them!
Step 10: Colour adjustments done. For this example I’ve just set the bottom layer to 50% opacity, the middle one to an Overlay blend with 20% opacity and the top layer to Overlay with 60% opacity. I’ve also stretched the middle planks layer so that the floorboards are much longer.
At this point you’re basically done. The edges of your generated floorboards will need to be trimmed, so make sure to plan for that.
You can adjust a few things to tweak the overall look of the floorboards – the lengths of the motion blurs, scaling the noise before the first motion blur, whether or not you add noise with the Monochromatic option ticked, and the pixel offsetting (try offsetting the overlay layers from one another so they don’t have the same highlights and shadows, or even use two completely different noise maps for each overlay layer!)
It’s worth also adjusting the colour balance of the two overlay layers too – the floorboards usually look better if there aren’t some really highlighted or dark ones sticking out.
And of course you can still do some manual adjustments to add more detail to your floorboards – maybe add shadows between them or add irregularities and whorls to the woodgrain.
Over drinks, an incriminating photo was revealed of a coworker in a plastic bin costume, and I whipped up a quick little gif of it.
Their face is covered in this version to protect the guilty, but no such anonymity was offered for the version we uploaded to Slack >:)
Finally got the sketches done for this team. They won an art prize from a random draw a few months ago! I got the first five done pretty fast but the remaining five have been on ice until now.
I hadn’t planned to fit them all into one image but they almost work… maybe I can fit the team logo in the middle.
Been thinking about Mr. Kiasu. There are probably some words that should go here too about how the Mr. Kiasu comics gave me a cultural claim to a country that I’m largely ignorant of, despite my ancestry.