Something quick, dumb and different for today.
I heard a wood duck in my street while walking home tonight. It might have been scoping out an appropriate nest site? In any case, my attempts to locate it failed. So I drew my own.
Not much today. Just a small fragment.
Spending so much time on the scraps of paper made me ponder about numerous possible stories about paper and the messages on them that might make for interesting illustrations.
Inspired by the news reader on tonight’s ABC news.
This little buddy is a bit angrier than I’d planned but I like it. He gotta fite that tail.
I’m kinda enjoying indulging a bit of time on background elements, rather than rushing to complete an image. Here’s tonight’s progress.
So it seems like I’m doing this thing, huh? I even realised I have an email with an art request from the Owl so maybe that email chain I asked for yesterday might just get off the ground.
During Blay I inked and flatted a picture. I didn’t touch it again during the month, and opening it up tonight I just felt so lost on how to progress the image. But I figured it won’t go anywhere if I don’t at least try. Here’s a corner of the piece, progressed slightly.
Smashed With Four Aces is one of my old paintings that I still love. Sure it’s a cliche idea but I so enjoyed weaving a lot of easter eggs into the artwork, referencing both the original series of paintings by CM Coolidge and of course, the various titles that the dogs appear from. You can read all about the process of creating this art in an old blog post.
One of the common critiques about the artwork was about Fox’s face. When I’d just completed the artwork I had trouble seeing it, then, over time the issues became really obvious but I didn’t find the time to address them. In some ways I was just so exhausted by the painting still (and the fact that my computer chugged whenever I opened the massive file). Mostly the problems emerged because I drafted Fox’s face after his Melee model, then swapped to his Brawl/Smash 4 partway through, trying hard to hew to the small snout, which didn’t really translate well.
Now that I’ve decided to do a new print run of these posters I’ve been able to find time to fix up Fox’s face. Matching up to the colour sensibilities I had when I first painted this picture was difficult. It’s not perfect but I think it’ll do for now.